Obtaining the Student Residence Permit in Romania

Obtaining the Student Residence Permit in Romania

After entering Romania, you must obtain a residence permit. It certifies your right to stay in Romania and you can obtain it from the territorial units of the General Inspectorate for Immigration from the county where you live. In order to obtain a residence permit, you will submit personally a number of documents at least 30 days before the expiry of the right to stay granted by the visa.

As a student, master student or doctoral candidate, in order to extend the right of residence (obtaining the residence permit) for studies, you must submit the following documents:

- application

- border crossing document (passport, travel document, etc.) original and duplicate;

- letter of acceptance for the studies – only required on the first extension of the right to stay;

- certificate from the educational institution proving that you are enrolled to study at a public or private educational institution, accredited or provisionally authorized by law, in a full-time education program, including participation in PhD courses, on the basis of the approval of the ministry of resort;

- proof of means of support amounting to at least the minimum gross salary per country guaranteed in payment for a period of at least 6 months;

- proof of legal ownership of living space (original and copy;)

- medical certificate;

- fees.

Residence permits for beneficiaries of a Romanian state scholarship shall be granted with exemption from paying taxes.

The right of temporary residence for studies may be extended to a maximum of 6 months after graduation, in order to complete the school or university situation, and to authenticate the study papers for this purpose

Foreigners who have not graduated during the initial granted period may be granted a further extension of the right of residence in order to complete their studies for a period no longer than a year.

The residence permit is renewed at least 30 days before the expiration of the previous one.

The right of temporary residence for studies may be extended for 9 months after graduation, job search and employment or business opening formalities, with the submission of the documents attesting completion of the studies.

Foreigners holding a temporary right of residence for studies can be employed in Romania without a work permit only with an individual employment contract for part-time work, lasting no longer than 4 hours per day.

For details, please see the General Inspectorate for Immigration webpage at the following link http://igi.mai.gov.ro/en/content/studies or contact the Immigration Bureau of Arad County.

Immigration Bureau of the County Arad

Address: Str. I. Calvin (formerly Peak Dor), no. 15-17 Arad

Phone 0257-207100 ext. 20 291, 2292, 2294

Fax 0257-253151

email ar.igi@mai.gov.ro